Kenneth Marvin Jones

Nov. 27, 1956 – Jan. 21, 2024


“What a long strange trip it’s been.” – Grateful Dead

On Sunday, Jan. 21, Kenneth Marvin Jones made his last trip to see his Lord and Savior.

He left this earthly plane at 67 years old, leaving behind his wife of 39 years, Colleen; three children, Chessa (Tim), Hannah (Joey) and Kenny (Esme); grandchildren, Olivia and Inti; mother, Joan Bogetto; sisters, Lizzy and Becky (Jack); former wife, Fiona/Tammy (Zach) and their daughter Allie; cousins; nieces; a nephew; and friends scattered across the country.

He was preceded in death by his father, Kenneth Jones; grandmother, Thelma Dalton Lawson (Gommy); grandfather, Clem Lawson; his former in-laws, Maxine and Earl Haggerty; and uncle, Earl Haggerty.

Kenny was born in Clinton, Indiana, on Nov. 27, 1956. He was raised mainly in Clinton, Indiana. Kenny’s school career was short-lived. He left home and school at 16, much to his school teaching mother’s chagrin, to join his father in the construction business.

At 18 years old, he met his first wife, Tammy, in Kemmerer, where they had three children. He worked at the Skull Point Mine for almost 20 years. During his years at the coal mine, Kenny worked as the union president for nine years, representing his fellow workers. During strikes, he would supplement his income doing seismograph work and roughnecking.

In 1984, he met the love of his life, Colleen McCombs, while on a motorcycle trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. They married on July 28, 1990.

They moved to Alaska in 1997, where Kenny fell in love with fishing again. From the beautiful Kenai River to the Kachemak Bay, it didn’t matter, just so the line was in the water. He enjoyed cooking and eating salmon as much as he did catching them.

During a stint in the field as a Juggy in 2000, Kenny had a fortuitous meeting with Gary Hull, a bear guide. Gary sold him the humble beginnings of his now flourishing taxidermy business Skulls and Bones. He made lifelong friends and gained a son and friend in Justin Hobbs.

Kenny was the kindest, most loving man who would do anything for anybody. He loved Jesus and lived his life accordingly. He had friends all over the country who loved him, and he them, and he never hesitated to tell them. The “God bless Yous” and “I love yous” were a constant with Kenny.

He is now free of the horrific debilitating disease of ALS that robbed him of the strength to ride a Harley; legs that could walk to the water’s edge; hands that could hold a fishing rod; the ability to eat fish; and a soft-spoken voice that could tell the most fabulous stories.

Those who knew him and were touched by his boundless love, know that words cannot express what a wonderful man Kenny was. He will be dearly missed by many.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to KPAL at

A celebration of life to be announced at a later date.