EVANSTON — The city of Evanston, Evanston Tree Board and Evanston Parks Department are once again sponsoring the community tree planting program and offering local residents and business owners the opportunity to purchase a street tree to plant on their property this summer for a discounted price of only $50.
Applications to receive a Community Street Tree will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until April 12, or until all trees are reserved. To request a Community Street Tree application or for more information, contact Evanston Parks Department administrative assistant Janel Campbell by calling the Parks Shop at (307) 789-2519.
Reserve your street tree now, as trees are limited. If you participated in the program last year, in 2012, you can have your name placed on a waiting list to reserve a tree for 2013, if trees are available after the April 12 deadline.
To qualify to receive a tree, residents and business owners must comply with the following requirements:
• Live within the Evanston city limits;
• Own a business in a business zone;
• Have adequate space to plant a tree within 20 feet of the street public right-of-way (within street side and yard setback areas)
• May not have received a tree through the community tree program for at least one year;
• Must have an existing dwelling and someone occupying the premises;
• Must have existing and maintained landscaping
• Must have an existing irrigation (water) source;
• Must be willing to plant and provide reasonable care to maintain a healthy the tree and landscape; and
• Must prepay the $50 fee at the time application is submitted.
The Evanston Parks Department will be delivering trees in June 2013 to residents and businesses that have submitted an application and paid the fee. Residents or businesses will be responsible for planting and maintaining the tree themselves.